Slips and falls can sound like minor incidents. When you trip over something, you lose your balance, fall down, and get back on your knees. However, the gravity of a fall can vary, from moderate to serious. Serious falls have been a common reason people visit the ER every year. Although the majority of falls are not fatal, they may cause injuries which can be painful and come with lasting consequences. Because of this, you will want to hire the services of a lawyer from Hannon Legal Group to get compensated for our injuries.
Common Kinds of Falls
- Falls in the Workplace. Statistics show an increasing number of fatal falls for all workers. Because of slip and fall injuries, workers have t be absent from work and have to deal with some medical bills for their hospitalization. Falls are also a cause of worker’s compensation claims every year.
- Senior Falls. Aging comes with changes in your ability to stay strong and firm while on your feet. Senior people are prone to slips and falls because of their declining health. Their receive injuries that tend to be serious and have long-lasting consequences including hip and other fractures as well as brain and spinal cord injuries. These consequences will make seniors dependent on other people for their daily living. Slips and falls can happen to seniors whether at home or in nursing homes.
How to Ensure a Successful Slip and Fall Lawsuit
If you sustain an injury because of a slip and fall accident, you are entitled to get compensation for your injuries if the accident happened because somebody else is negligent. If you decide to sue the party for money damages, you have to prove the things below:
- The existence of a dangerous condition or defect in a walking surface.
- The awareness of the property owner of the condition or defect.
- Their failure to fix the condition or clean up.
- Failure to warn the danger through a sign.
- The ability of the condition or defect to cause the slip and fall that lead to your injury or proper damage.
Damages to Recover in a Slip and Fall Case
In a slip and fall case, you can recover economic damages like medical expenses that include doctor bills, in-home assistance cost and x-ray bills. The in-home assistance cost is especially essential for seniors who have sustained injuries as a result of a slip and fall. Also, you can recover for your future medical care cost and lost wages. You will need to be compensated for the days you should miss work because of your injury.
Just like medical malpractice cases, the success of slip and fall cases depends on the facts at issue in your case. If you have concerns and questions about your accident, you must call a personal injury lawyer. An experienced attorney will help you get the compensation you are entitled to. A lot of cases like these are settled out of course. However, if the insurance company of the party at fault refuses to pay or agree on a settlement, your lawyer will take your case to court.