National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has revealed that over 3 million people get injured in vehicle accidents all across the US. The resulting injuries vary on the circumstances of the collision; however, the causes that lead to these injuries are usually quite common.
Despite all the advances in the automobile industry, there are still many causes of auto accidents that people haven’t been able to overcome. Let’s look at the most common ones.
Most common types of auto accidents in 2016
- Accident due to reckless driving: Drivers who have little to no regard for the rules of the road were the most affected by accidents last year. Individuals who change lanes without signaling, make improper turns or do not care about traffic signs are not only putting themselves in danger but also their fellow commuters.
And it so happens, these drivers also put pedestrians at risk more often than not.
- Accident due to drunk driving: According to NHTSA, in 2013, a total of 10,076 people were killed in accidents involving a driver who had alcohol volume in their system beyond legal limit. Even though the statistics for 2016 is not available yet, it’s hard not to discount the fact that 2013 was a year in which a person died in an alcohol-related car accident every 52 minutes.
- Accident due to bad weather: Even though most accidents are caused by driver error, bad weather is also to blame for thousands of collisions taking place every year. Not only does the presence of snow or rain on the road in their driver’s ability, but also makes it difficult for high-security safety features like ABS to remain functional.
Every year we hear innumerable accidents taking place because of poor weather conditions, and 2016 was no different.
- Accident due to manufacturing errors: Even though car manufacturers are held to high standards for each vehicle they make, various parts often can and do fail. When these parts fail malfunction on the road, the driver and passengers may end up suffering severe injuries.
In the case of casualties suffered because of manufacturing errors, one can always approach an attorney for claiming legal compensation arising out of personal injury. You can click right here to learn more.
- Distracted driving: The most common causes of vehicle-related casualties in the US happens due to drivers talking on the phone, sending or receiving text messages, grooming their hair, eating, and adjusting the radio or admiring the scenery. While there may not be a constant need to monitor the road, it’s a fact that distracted driving claims more than 3000 lives every year.
No matter how experienced of a driver you are, it’s never completely safe to take your eyes off the road. 2016 was especially a year that saw many injuries from car accidents caused by distracted driving.
How can I be completely safe on the road?
While it is never possible to be in full control of the external conditions, you can always take maximum precautionary measures to minimize chances of getting into a car accident. Drive a car with good safety features, pay attention to the road, avoid going out when the weather is extreme, and always wear your seatbelt.